Fequently Asked Questions

Financial Assistance may be available under specific conditions for expenses related to:

  • Basic Living Expenses - includes only 'basic' living expenses such as food, shelter and utilities (water, heat, telephone and hydro)
  • Childcare – to assist with the cost of supervised care not already being paid for.
  • Commuting – not to exceed the maximum monthly transit cost in urban areas where public transit is available. Where and if public transit is not a viable option, commuting will be reimbursed at $0.25 per kilometre. Rates are calculated based on the mode of travel and on the distance you commute daily to and from school.
  • Travel – to help cover the transportation costs between your home and the place of training at the beginning and end of training.
  • Living Away from Home – for Apprentices who maintain a permanent residence as well as a temporary residence while attending training.
  • Disability – for Apprentices who are disabled and need special arrangements or a device (that you are not already paying for) to participate in the course. Persons considered "disabled" are those having any persistent physical, mental, sensory or learning impairment.

A great place to start is with Business Development Bank of Canada’s Entrepreneurial Self-Assessment tool. This online questionnaire can help you decide if becoming your own boss is right for you.

The Women’s Enterprise Centre created the guide Taking the Leap to Entrepreneurship: A Guide to Help BC Women Make the Transition. The guide explores the shift to self-employment. It also presents many examples of B.C. women who have started their own businesses. Fill out the questionnaire at the end to find out your strengths and weaknesses for going into business.

Anyone who is legally entitled to work in Canada can access most of the services in our office. Because our mandate is to target unemployed and under-employed workers, clients who work more than 20 hours per week or are attending school full-time are not normally referred to Case Managers.

These clients can still use the self-services in our Resource Centre. Clients seeking referrals to Job Creation Partnerships, Wage Subsidy, Self-Employment, or Skills Development programs will need to have a current or recent EI claim.

We offer services to anyone of working age who is legally entitled to work in Canada.

The Employment Centre can advise you on training programs that are available, as well as funding from other sources that you may be eligible for. If you have a current or recent EI claim, a Case Manager can also refer you to the Skills Development program to help you pay for re-training courses.

Please contact one of our offices for more information.

We have a number of services that can help you develop your own resumés and cover letters. Our computer lab and career resource library contain books, samples, and templates you can follow. We also offer hands-on workshops on resumé writing, which cover content and different styles of resumés along with informed feedback from our staff.

We recommend you start by meeting with an Case Manager to determine which services would be most helpful to you.

If you have a current or recent EI claim, we may be able to refer you to the Wage Subsidy Program, which can help you gain new skills -- and the potential for longer-term employment -- while working with a local employer.

We have a number of resources on-site that can help prepare you to start up a business. As well, if you have a current or recent EI claim, you may be eligible for a Counsellor referral to the Self-Employment Program.

If you are looking to start up a new business, we recommend you contact the local Community Futures office, which offers a broad range of programs and services to assist you.

WorkBC Prince George

150 Brunswick Street
Prince George, BC V2L 2B3
(250) 596-2517